In 1883, some of the people of Lake Placid felt the need for a library. A public notice was put up, and the meeting was scheduled to be held in the Adirondack Baptist Church on January 15, 1884.
On the appointed day eighteen people "interested in the literary advancement of our community" formed the Library Association of North Elba. A Certificate of Incorporation was filed in the office of the Essex County Clerk, Mr. Roberts, who donated the cost of the filing, on February 19, 1884.
Building plans began immediately. Two hundred books had already been donated for the shelves,............